Holidays and weekends are times that many of us look forward to. And when an opportunity presents itself, you grab it without looking back. Work always seems to take a more significant part of your life as we make that extra coin. I do agree that it is essential. However, you deserve a break from it to unwind.
This made me explore the city of New York and found that it is the ideal place to visit during the holidays or weekends. I mean, if you do not have any plans to make, then you will not regret it.
Here are some of the best places you can add to your list when in town.
1. The High Line
The park is located along 1.45 rail strip that connects three distinct cities. The abandoned railway of 1980 was transformed into a park in 2009. If you are in search of an ideal gate away, High line is the place to be.
The wildflower gives it a fantastic view, and as you breathe the air, you end up feeling so refreshed. It gives you a serene view of the Hudson River and Manhattan’s cityscape. The attractions are incredible, and you will enjoy every bit of it.
The outdoor art installations are also very spectacular. It allows you to engage in various activities which ensures that your time is well spent and you did not waste your finances.
Here are some of the things you can do while in the park
- Playing games in the Chelsea Piers complex.
- Shop at Chelsea Market.
- You have a food tour along the 1.45-mile track and picnic.
- Enjoy views at Hudson Park as you walk, skate, or cycle along the street.
- Go to a show at High line Ballroom.
- Enjoy stand-up comedy at the Upright Citizens Brigade Theatre.
2. Central Park
The park sits on 843 acres that will present you with an adventures tour. It is located at the heart of Manhattan. The wind trails, rocks, and streams await you to discover. The history rumored about the outstanding park is that it was happy touring spot years back and a recreational area as well.
If you are into exploring, then this is the place to come to. There are various activities that you can take part in while at the park.
- You can participate in ice skating or water sports. This will help you to relax and unwind. It is, however, crucial that you always have an instructor if it is your first time to undertake such activities. Safety is essential even when unwinding.
- Go to the Delacorte Theater. It will present you with various dramas that will make your ribs crack. Several musical plays will crown your holiday.
- Visit the central park zoo home to 130 different species. It is a perfect place to spend time with your family as you have fun with the animals.
- Explore the Metropolitan Museum of Art and American Museum of Natural History.
- Take part in the New York City marathon if you are athletic.
3. Time Square
It stretches from West 42nd to west 47th street. The town is mostly congested during the holidays. The Land of screens, as revelers commonly know it, has its past known as the hub of vice.
It is the hub of Broadway Theater District and a major center for the entertainment industry in the world. Here are activities that you can take part in while at the square.
- Check out the beautiful ball drop
- Take part in events such as the New Year. The place is usually, and as the countdown begins, the energy is felt in the air. Trust me; this is a beautiful experience to have when moving into a new year.
4. Statue of Liberty
The statue was a gift from France to the United States to symbolize the relationship. Frederic Auguste Bartholdi designed it. The icon is found on Liberty Island. It will take you approximately 90 minutes to travel from Battery Park to the island. The first boat leaves for the island at 9 am and the last boat at 3:30 pm every day.
At the island, you can
- Climb the statue to the top and enjoy the beautiful view.
- Have events like weddings, corporate events, or even parties. If you have made plans for the holiday, add this to your list, you would not want to miss out on a chance to visit this historical place.
For people who are looking for the ideal place to have their wedding, I suggest the Statue of Liberty. The island view will be the romantic paradise to have it. You will forever recall the moment as if it happened just the other day.
5. Empire State Building
The iconic landmark is located in midtown Manhattan. It has an outstanding height of 1,454 feet though it is not the tallest building in town. It took 3400 people to build that historical building. The tour will cost you a bit of cash but trust me it is worth every penny. It offers you a chance to
- Head to the main deck on the 86th floor and enjoy the open-air observation of the Hudson and East River.
- Have a magnificent full view of Central Park from the indoor deck if you are not comfortable on the open-air deck.
- Check the light calendar. The building has been installed with LED lights at the top that change according to the holidays; special occasions and even honor different organizations. The rhythmic change in color is remarkable at night, and it will blow your mind.
6. Brooklyn Bridge
It is the longest suspended bridge in the world, and it was opened in 1883. This specific architectural creation was the first-ever structure to cross the East River. It connects boroughs of Manhattan and Brooklyn. The bridge was made using steel wire cables by John A. Roebling.
Some of the things you can take part in are
- Have a walk on the bridge along the pedestrian way. This will give you quiet time to unwind and enjoy the view of the lower Manhattan. It will only take you 30 minutes to walk along the bridge.
- You can also cycle along the bicycle way as having a view of the sunset.
- Love locks. Yes, love locks; you as a couple are allowed to inscribe your initials on the padlock and attach it to the bridge. Then throw the key into the water as a sign of everlasting love.
7. 9/11 Memorial and Museum
The museum is also known as the National September 11th memorial. It’s a symbol of remembrance for the 3000 victims who perished in the terrorist attack of 9/11 and February 1993. An Israeli architecture Michael Arad designed the building.
Therefore, the museum offers you various places to explore and learn about the history behind the building.
- You can explore the artifacts from the wreckage are stored in the facility. This will take you down the memory lane of how the events unfolded. This includes a damaged fire truck and a part of one of the hijacked airplane, among others.
- There is also an art installation by Spencer Finch. It tries to show how the sky was in the morning before the attack.
- You can as well bear witness to the famous tower that remained standing after the building collapsed.
- Have a visit to the twin reflecting pools as you pay your respect. It is inscribed with the names of the victims on bronze panels.
- Then have a peaceful moment at the memorial park, listening to the sound of the wind.
8. Grand Central Station
The iconic facility is a commuter rail terminal located at 42nd Street and Park Avenue in Midtown Manhattan. The architectural design is so amazing that you will love looking at. It is not a must for you to be a traveler, but you can walk down and explore the scenery.
Here are some of the things that will make your visit ideal.
- There are various shops that you can shop and eat while on your tour. You can walk through the beautiful walls and appreciate the marble floor, gold, and nickel-plated chandeliers.
- Take pictures on the historical ornate beaux-arts neoclassical outside the facility to ensure that you capture the moment.
9. Chrysler Building
It is a skyscraper designed by William Van Alen, and the building is 925 foot tall. It’s one of the first human-made structures. No public tours are however offered in the facility. The observation deck was closed in 1945. But you will still be able to enjoy it.
- Seeing the triangle-shaped window lined with lighting at night.
- You can also spot the famous giant steel eagle ornaments on the building.
10. The Metropolitan Museum of Art
The facility was opened in 1880, and it covers 11.5 acres. The facility holds a collection of art that backdates 5000 years to the present. It also contains paints and artifacts from different parts of the world.
Some of the things you can do while at the museum are
- You can admire the various Egyptian art and artifacts.
- Also, there are European Old master impressionist and post-impressionist paints that await you to explore.
- There is also Met’s American and Lehmann wings attractions just for you.
- The rooftop garden is perfect and offers you tranquility as you view the park and midtown skyline.
11. Food Tours
The food tours are a remarkable event that offers you a variety of delicious food. Trust me; you will enjoy every single bite. The difference in food will be hard to taste all at a go. Therefore, you require time set aside for this particular task. I suggest that you have your taste buds ready. If possible, prolong your stay to ensure you are not left out.
The foods that you have to taste include pizza, doughnuts, cupcakes, dim sum, and ice cream. The tour will only take 3 hours. It runs from Greenwich Village, Chelsea Market and the High Line, Chinatown, Nolita, and Little Italy and finally Brooklyn. This tour will surely make your holidays superb.
12. St. Patrick’s Cathedral
The church is situated directly across the Rockefeller Center. James Renwick Jr designed the cathedral. His architectural design is splendid, and you will love it. The church can accommodate 3000 people. The historic church has a unique design. The altar and the window have spectacular modifications that will attract your eyes.
Here you will learn about how various persons have a role to play to build the church. And also the walls of the church bear the historical happenings. The booming attack where an 18th-inch hole was made on the floor and boy was injured.
13. Theater District
The Broadway presents you with live entertainment. A new play or musical mark every season. There are various theater Broadway shows that you can choose to see. The theater will make your weekend awesome.
There are multiple shows you can select from and are categorized according to musicals or drama. Here are a few that you find incredibly thrilling to watch.
- The book of Mormon
- Dear Evans Hansen
- The Ferryman
- Harry Potter, the cursed child
14. American Museum of Natural History
Located at the upper west of side of Manhattan, it is one of the most important historical museums in the world. The build comprises of 28 interconnected buildings and 45 permanent screening halls. You will have various places to visit and explore once in the facility.
Some of the sites awaiting your exploration are
- The Culture Room. This will give you a deeper understanding of the various traditions in the world. It will provide you with a sneak peek on how cultural practices differ. That is how people in different demography live, what they eat, and how they dress.
- The Mammal Gallery, where you will be looking at the mammals that are there. The mammals have different characteristics depending on the area they live in. They are divided into two classes’ new mammals and old mammals.
- The Birds, reptiles, and amphibians hall. This section enables you to understand how they came to existence. The building is segmented into three parts, the bird’s room which has species from all over the world. The oceanic bird’s gallery and lastly the reptiles and amphibians room.
- The Fossil room. The famous dinosaur’s remains are found in this section. If you have an urge to learn about the dinosaurs’ family, this section will be ideal for you. There are also fossils from other animal species that are extinct. Here you let your imagination do the talking as you explore them.
- The human origin section showcases the evolution of humankind from the early ages of apes to the Homo sapiens. It will give you a deeper understanding of the culture. How they lived and communicated. The tools that they made and what was invented during the evolution stages.
- The environmental section in the museum has three parts. There is the hall of North American forest that showcases the various types of trees. Warburg hall displays the eco-system, showing how human beings and animals affect the system. And the last segment is the Milstein hall that brings the ocean life to the museum.
- Earth and planetary unit are also found in the facility. You will learn about the many meteorites that were discovered, such as the Willamette and Cape York meteorites.
- A research library is also within the facility, which gives you a peaceful surrounding to carry out your research. It is located on the fourth floor of the museum.
- There is also a Gems and minerals section. Space enables you to understand the unusual geological specimens and even the rare, valuable gemstones. They include the Assorted faceted and polished mineral, Labradorite specimen, Microline specimen, among others.
- The Rose center for earth and space is also found in the facility. It was opened on February 19th, 2000. It is housed in a glass cube. This enables you to learn about the various planets that are found in space. This is the perfect place to bring your kid to learn about the heavenly body. The worlds are designed precisely as they are seen in the galaxy. Giving you the ideal experience, you may think that you are in space when at the center.
I believe that you will come out of the museum with a lot of knowledge about the world. This is something you wouldn’t want to miss out on.
The town is one of the oldest in the city. It presents you with a diverse Asian culture that is perfect for your holiday or weekend. The Asian culture makes it vibrant, and it’s an excellent place to relax and rejuvenate your body, mind, and soul. If you are planning to go on holidays outside the country, think again. Chinatown might be the thrill you are in search of. There are various places and things that are awaiting your exploration.
Things that you have to add to your to-do list are
You should have a Nom Wah Tea Parlor a Chinese delicacy since 1920.
- Engage yourself in the magic jewelry to understand the town and how it operates.
- You may as well shop in the Deluxe food market. Here you will have a taste of the various dishes that are prepared according to their culture. The flavors will make your buds experience a chain of delicacies. There is also the Sun’s Organic Garden. You will be able to learn about the herbal food and drinks that the Chinese are known for.
- Sample the traditional Chinese fruit cake lung Moon during the mid –Autumn.
- Spend time at the Apotheke bar and lounge. Where you will enjoy cocktails after a long day. The place is so peaceful and cozy such that it will make you feel at home.
- A museum is also a place that has to be in your list while in Chinatown. At the museum, you will find the various items that were thought to be booming. The details include the Taco Bell Wrapper and a dildo with LED lighting. They have been displayed on the shelf in an artistic way that will leave you with more questions than answers.
- The Wild Ink restaurant will also make your holidays and weekends very eventful. The Asian dishes are very delicious, not forgetting the kitchen action at the chef’s table. If you are in town, you can have dinner at the restaurant. There is also a private dining area tailored to your needs.
- Art is not left out; there is Michiyo art studio that allows you to learn more about watercolors. It will only require a bit of your time at a price. If you are interested to learn about this form of art, then book a day in the workshop.
- If you are lucky to have holidays in February, then you can catch the New Year festival in the town. The Chinese New Year festival is breathtaking. The dragon dances and the food during the fest are out of this world. I did attend one sometime last year it will forever remain engraved in my mind. I do not know about you, but I must be in the next New Year celebrations.